[Commons-l] Allow Digital Negative (DNG) RAW format on Commons? (and increase filesize limit)

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:48:35 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 7:02 AM, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We mainly don't have higher resolution image files because people
> > aren't uploading high-resolution image files to start with, not
> > because the high-resolution JPGs or TIFFs which we have Just Aren't
> > Good Enough(TM).
>
> And people aren't uploading high-resolution image files because they
> can't. If the upload limit were increased, there are plenty of US-govt
> TIFFs that could be added to Commons and greatly improve our
> usability.

Generally I've processed Library of Congress TIFFs to JPEGs because
the vast majority of our users will not want to download a 20GB image.

Ideally, I suppose, we should allow the upload of both a source image
and a processed version 'for use' - the source image could be PNG for
those natively available in TIFF, or DNG for those natively available
in a RAW format.

-Matt