[Commons-l] Allow Digital Negative (DNG) RAW format on Commons? (and increase filesize limit)

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 23:54:06 UTC 2007

On 22/11/2007, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/11/2007, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So although our works are usually sufficient for web use, it seems
> > clear that we cannot present ourselves as a serious kind of archivist,
> > culture-recording project, without introducing a RAW format and
> > encouraging people to use it.
>
> Careful not to jump two steps there :-)
[...]
> Allowing the upload of RAW files would certainly be a good thing (if
> we have the capacity, which I assume we do), but it'll probably mean
> that our high-end stuff gets better, not that we make substantially
> more content publishable.

Correct. The vast majority of people will continue to contribute JPGs,
and probably pretty ordinary ones at that. But for the dozens of
FP/QI-level contributors, who are probably shooting RAW rather than
JPG anyway, it makes sense to ask for and accept RAW from those
people.

Point and clicks don't even offer RAW. It's not going to be like
"everyone must start using DNG". :)

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/