[Wikiversity-l] licenses

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 11:47:32 UTC 2008

Hi James (just back from holiday - catching up),
The strong preference for using third-party non-free content (images, text)
is always to request a free copy, ie by asking the copyright holder to
relicence the content (not simply ask for permission for use on a single
project, as this is not free enough). Fair use is a cop-out, and used (only
by some projects) as a pragmatic (some would argue "defeatist") response to
virulent copyright protection in place. I would encourage you to contact the
copyright holder(s) and request for a free copy of content - there is a
similar sample letter at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Permission_Letter_Samples - though I would
stress that the response needs to be sent to the following address: <
permissions at wikimedia.org>. In fact, it is  a good idea to have someone
watching the permissions queue for this - I have access, so I could send
this and similar types of requests myself. We could also set up a page on
Wikiversity where people could add requests, and which would be monitored by
a group of people with OTRS access (OTRS is the mailing system that
Wikimedia volunteers use). How about [[Wikiversity:OTRS requests]]?

Cheers,
Cormac

PS: Regarding odg formats, we can always allow for more file types to be
uploaded to Wikiversity - I don't know why Commons doesn't accept this
format.