[Wikiversity-l] Moodle and software support for Wikiversity

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:26:12 UTC 2007

On 12/10/07, draicone at gmail.com <draicone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007 7:05 AM, Brian Salter-Duke <b_duke at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > 1. The ability to display molecular models that can be manipulated by the
> > reader. This function is available in an open source application called
> > Jmol. A php extension is available to run in mediawiki and Jmol does run
> > on, for example, the Jmol Wiki. I have tried to get this added to
> > Wikipedia, where of course it would also be useful, but the technical
> > folks, think the php is not sufficiently free of security concerns. I do
> > not know php but I am trying to get this issue solved. Unfortunately the
> > author of the Jmol php extension is too busy to do this.
> >

> If you can provide us with further details, I can get it started on the
> sandbox wiki we have running on the server.
[rest snipped]

Thanks very much Draicone, and to Brian for raising this specific
instance of a use of Wikiversity. The more instances of 'the use(s) of
Wikiversity' we can gather - and address - the better.

The sandbox server is certainly a very useful tool. And we know that
MediaWiki has its limitations. (David Gerard was recently talking to
Magnus Manske - the original author of Mediawiki in PHP - and likened
it to "building a skyscraper from lego and gaffer tape. And now we
live in it." :-)) So, there would also be a fascinating learning
project in developing Mediawiki - aligning a group of interested
people around specific problems in Mediawiki, and improving
functionality - as well as enabling them to go through bugs in other
programs' code in order to make them more compatible with Mediawiki or
runnable on WMF's servers. Anything I can do to facilitate this
process, I will - and I'd love to hear other specific ideas of how we
could get this project running. Perhaps this would be a part of
[[:v:Mediawiki Project]] -
<http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Project>...

Cormac