[Wikitech-l] State of technology: 2007

Fernando Fagundes ffisnotfirefox at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 22:49:53 UTC 2008

I'm aware the peer agreements of US big companies (tier 1) are harsh, but
wikipedia is not commercial and have a lot of respect.

Google and Akamai got good peering agreements in the past because people
respected them. Wikipedia shouldn't put itself in the same place of
commercial companies when thinking about peering.

At&t is said to be more open to peering than others Tier 1s, Cogent peers
anyone and Globalcrossing is your friend.
There's also education networks and Latin America/Canadian telcos.
But any of those will peer only where they have backbone capacity. Near
Tampa that place would be Atlanta for US companies and Miami for Latin
America ones. Go to the next Nanog and let people meet you.

For brazilian companies at Miami you should have no problems peering 8167
and 7738. You already have an open channel with 12956 and a lot of people
here use Globalcrossing. I don't have any idea about 4230 policy, but
they're at Miami as well.

Don't know about the other latin american companies but they should also be
open to peering because they usually buy their traffic.

About the other costs did you already already asked for donations or
discounts from Sago, or any other company located at Nota or Marietta? If
you did I don't want to use that argument anymore.

When I mentioned Sago rackspace that was about space for network gear at
Miami and Atlanta. I didn't mean you should move from your servers current
location.

Best regards,
Fernando.