[Wikisource-l] quality0 and transclusion

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 23:56:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:05 AM,  <thomasV1 at gmx.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am planning to modify the <pages> tag, so that content from pages marked as "empty" (quality0) will either not be transcluded at all, or will be transcluded without page number, and without appending a newline character.
>
> The main reason for this change is to improve the support for multilingual books. Currently, the <pages> tag creates an empty paragraph for each empty page that is in its list ; this means that pages with text in other languages, typically rendered with {{iwpage}}, do have a side effect.
>
> This side effect can be observed here :
> http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Satire_1_(Horace,_Raoul)
>
> In this example, pages in latin generate an empty paragraph, which is visible in the transclusion ; the line spacing is too large on each page break.
>
> Before I proceed with this change, I would like to know if it could have unexpected consequences. Please let me know if you know texts or wikis that use quality0 in an unintended way (besides de.ws).

This is a good idea in general.

However, I suspect that pages consisting only of images have been
marked on en.ws as quality0.

If it is easy to do, a check for content in the 'blank page' would
allow for the content to be included if it is valid content.

Another approach would be for us to search the databases for non-blank
blank pages, and let the communities reassess how they are using this
feature.

--
John Vandenberg