[Wikisource-l] Pages without text

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 17:06:06 UTC 2009

I disagree in general with the idea that everyone must conform.  There is room for the communities to develop their own solutions.  Hopefully when one community proves that some solution has good results others will learn from their experience and adopt it.  But there needs to be room for experimentation.

In this specific case, it seems to me this is more of legacy issue on de.WS rather than a deliberate choice.  If they (as well as every other subdomains) conform to the standards the majority of Wikisources use then the comparative numbers between Wikisources will be more accurate.  I don't see a strong reason for de.WS deciding to not conform here.  But it is a bunch of tedious work and it should be thoroughly discussed.  It would be very nice if de.WS took the time to consider the issue and let us know what the consensus turns out to be.

However we can always make a footnote when people choose to count things differently and estimate with data crunching.  (i.e. Of 1000 validated pages on the top three non-de.WS subdomains the average number of empty pages is X (A%), therefore an estimate of de.WS validated non-empty page is the given total minus the A% of the given total)  This is not an unsolvable issue and I am sure sooner of later some subdomain will discover a good reason to do something differently.

Birgitte SB