[Wikiquality-l] Quality initiative hitting the papers: Daily Telegraph (UK) tomorrow

Daniel Arnold arnomane at gmx.de
Fri Sep 21 15:07:27 UTC 2007

On Thursday 20 September 2007 14:18:18 David Gerard wrote:
> Call from Nicole Martin, Daily Telegraph, asking after the article
> that was in yesterday's New Scientist:
> [...]
> Points I repeated a few times:
>
> * Casual readers will see the marked-stable version by default,
> logged-in editors will see the current live version
> * Anyone can still edit, anonymous or not (you still won't need a
> login to fix a spelling error)
> * Details are NOT fixed yet, resolving over the next two months
> * Almost certainly will go live on German Wikipedia in November this year
> * No timeline for other editions, particularly English, though we're
> enthusiastically watching
> * English has notably worked to increase quality over the past couple
> of years, adding references, marking unreferenced articles, etc., so
> readers will at least know what they're getting
> * http://quality.wikimedia.org/ - I asked her to include the URL in
> the article, strongly suggested she read up on things there.

The New Scientist article has caused a Spiegel-Online article
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,507076,00.html with even more
questionable statements ("Wikipedia will be changeable by trusted users
only").

I have written a comment to the author and CC'ed it to wikide-l (sorry it's
written in German ;):
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikide-l/2007-September/019765.html

Greetings, Arnomane