[Wikipedia-l] Anchors in table of contents on Wikipedia pages

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:06:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/9/21 Robert Chin <robert.chin at gmail.com>:
>> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I believe the standards now say not to use <a> for anchors, just for
>>> links. Wikipedia is now following the standard for anchors, which is
>>> supported by all reasonably modern browsers. Just upgrade your
>>> browser, it is inconceivable that there is any good reason to still be
>>> using Netscape 4.
>>
>> Believe it or not, there are still DEC Unix 4 machines still in
>> service. There is no upgrade from Netscape 4.
>
> I can imagine such a machine being kept for a very specific purpose,
> but why would anyone use it to browse the web?

I still use Sun systems manufactured in 1992 (but retiring it soon,
despite its average 450 day uptimes) and 1996, though the bulk of mine
are 2000s vintage in all of PC, Linux, Mac, and UNIX.

I still web browse on the 1996 Sun box sometimes.

It has browsers available which are significantly newer than Netscape
4.78, however...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com