[Wikipedia-l] Infoboxes doubts

Gustavo García gustavogb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 19:27:25 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm researching how to extract wikipedia information to show it in other
ways (visually).  I would like to use some kind of metadata to avoid
extracting information from the raw text itself, so my first idea is to use
infoboxes fields.  I have come out with these comments and questions:

* Infoboxes could use some kind of hierarchy to avoid naming differently the
same concept.  For ex. president.birth_date or Musical_Artist.Born could
inherit from Person and reuse Person.birth_date to avoid inconsistencies.

* Infoboxes could allow some kind of relationships between them to show
relations like "region subpart-of country" or "monarch king-of country".

* What is the relation between Infoboxes and web microformats? IMHO
wikipedia should reuse microformats formats and conventions as much as
possible, only expand them when needed and export pages as microformats when
possible.

Thanks in advance for any comment and information about these topics.

BR,
G.