[Wikipedia-l] Non-notability "abuse"

Ian Tresman ian2 at knowledge.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 08:16:10 UTC 2007

At 08:49 18/09/2007, you wrote:
>Deletionism worsens systemic bias. As a young Singaporean who
>contributes to articles pertaining to the Little Red Dot, I was
>dismayed to find out that many articles on notable Singaporean topics
>have been nominated for deletion (or even speedy deleted) by
>Wikipedians who know nothing about Singapore. I could provide many
>examples, but I believe the four below would suffice:
>
>Last year, Nehwyn nominated many articles on Singaporean shopping
>malls for deletion. These included [[Suntec City Mall]] (which holds
>the world's largest fountain).

And we have a List of Shopping Malls by country,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shopping_malls_by_country
But that's up for deletion on the grounds of notabilty! I suspect
that architechs mights disagree, but since when does a list have to
be "notable", or more notable than 1000 pieces of space rock, or a
list of episodes of the Simpsons.

Yet the List of Shopping Malls in the USA,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shopping_malls_in_the_United_States
Is considered OK.

What really gets me is all the unnecessary discussion on notability.
All Jimbo has to do is make a decree so that can dedicate time to
improving articles, not fighting over their demise or survival.

Regards,

Ian Tresman
www.plasma-universe.com