[Wikipedia-l] botbit

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 00:24:56 UTC 2007

On 28/10/2007, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/10/28, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>
> > You don't think it would, perhaps, be useful to tell us which one it is, then?
>
> os: at the moment, various others before.
>
> > I don't know about other languages, but the English Wikipedia has a
> > bot policy that determines when bots are and aren't allowed to edit,
> > and when they get bot flags. I expect other projects have similar
> > policies, and they probably include maximum edit rates for bots
> > without flags, and they probably have a process by which you can
> > request a flag if you want to edit faster than that rate. I can't see
> > any project handing out flags to any account that looks like a bot
> > without the owner requesting it.
>
> Well, the cases I talk about are the bot policy changing from "no bot
> policy" to "block all non-registered bots at sight." As for requesting
> bot flags: I still don't see why *I* should be the one to request a
> bot flag for my bot. Perhaps I should ask permission to *run* my bot,
> but even then I would prefer to get a mention if that's introduced
> after I have run my bot for several months or years rather than
> noticing it by having my bot blocked.
>
> So here a statement once more:
> * If I need permission to run my bot on your language, notify me of
> that. In particular if that need is created after my bot already has
> run there without problems for months or even years
> * If you want my bot to have a botflag, I have no objections to that.
> If you want information or remarks from me, I'm happy to give them
> * If you want *me* to ask for a botflag, then also explain to me why
> *I* should ask *you* for something that *you* want

In terms of a possible enhancement, would it be useful to be able to
create a particular user on all Wikipedia language projects with the
same settings (e.g. bot-flagged, administrator, &c.)? Users which
serve important roles for Wikipedia-as-a-whole (such as User:Robbot)
could be treated this way.

Will this be possible under SUL?

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)