[Wikipedia-l] botbit

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 18:53:59 UTC 2007

2007/10/28, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:

> You don't think it would, perhaps, be useful to tell us which one it is, then?

os: at the moment, various others before.

> I don't know about other languages, but the English Wikipedia has a
> bot policy that determines when bots are and aren't allowed to edit,
> and when they get bot flags. I expect other projects have similar
> policies, and they probably include maximum edit rates for bots
> without flags, and they probably have a process by which you can
> request a flag if you want to edit faster than that rate. I can't see
> any project handing out flags to any account that looks like a bot
> without the owner requesting it.

Well, the cases I talk about are the bot policy changing from "no bot
policy" to "block all non-registered bots at sight." As for requesting
bot flags: I still don't see why *I* should be the one to request a
bot flag for my bot. Perhaps I should ask permission to *run* my bot,
but even then I would prefer to get a mention if that's introduced
after I have run my bot for several months or years rather than
noticing it by having my bot blocked.

So here a statement once more:
* If I need permission to run my bot on your language, notify me of
that. In particular if that need is created after my bot already has
run there without problems for months or even years
* If you want my bot to have a botflag, I have no objections to that.
If you want information or remarks from me, I'm happy to give them
* If you want *me* to ask for a botflag, then also explain to me why
*I* should ask *you* for something that *you* want

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels