[Wikipedia-l] be-tarask ISO-code

Berto 'd Sera albertoserra at ukr.net
Fri May 11 13:01:36 UTC 2007

Hoi!

DISCLAIMER: this is not an official LangCom statement. It is but my personal
POV.

It really is, use it only if you care for some practical advice. If not...
than why are you answering to my emails? BTW, when I say that "we need
something" you can use that as a public personal pre-vote statement from my
side. I'll really start the bluntest opposition EVER if you can't conform to
those basic requirements and I have no problems in declaring it.

> So it would be worth rename be-x-old to be-tarask and close the problem
> with that :)
No. you miss three steps:
1) we check that your code is a legal ISO 639-3 code (I'll do that myself)
2) your linguistic entity is deviant enough from the normative version to be
granted more than just an alternative interface (many of you claimed it to
be "like en_us vs en_uk", remember? Well, we don't have an en_us.wiki).
3) your community starts to behave as wmf a community (unity, no hatred,
co-operation, etc).

Point 1) seems quite a formality. Point 2) is complicated, we will see what
to decide about it and we will need material to be presented and approved by
BOTH communities together (we are not going to accept a biased vision, it
either suits you BOTH or it doesn't suit us, either).

If you are to request a disjoint Byelorussian edition you MUST prove that
love and peace are reigning among the two editions. Let's be VERY clear:
unless you prove this all you get from an ISO code is your language file in
the official wikimedia distro. That part is due and automatic; I can warrant
you that you'll have it as soon as LangCom verifies point 1).

If you want to have be-tarask.wiki start by defining a 50-50 commission made
by your people and their people whose task will be in proving to us LangCom
bastards why you are both better off alone. It will help MUCH if you include
in your proposition a definition of how you are going to negotiate conflicts
(we kind of can't believe they will magically vanish by simply giving you a
code, you know) and what you can do to exchange contents and help each other
(you are both small projects and need all the labor you can save/get/reuse,
we just refused "classical greek" because it was taking away much needed
arms from an already weak gr.wiki, so...).

It's time to work TOGETHER if you care for your projects. Too bad when I
look at the follow-up of this discussion I seem to understand that all you
guys need is to sink each other... well, it's none of my problems, after
all. Have it as you please.

BTW ask Microsoft why their programs won't accept any other version of the
national adjective. I write it just as you do, then the automagic corrector
changes it back to "Microsoft politically correct" (i.e. Byelorussian). I'm
on XP-pro, my mail uses the Word corrector distributed on the Russian
speaking market, I guess you have the same in Belarus'.

Berto 'd Sera
Personagi dl'ann 2006 per l'arvista american-a Time (tanme tuti vojaotri)
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1569514,00.html