[Wikipedia-l] be: and be-x-old: interwiki

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu May 10 10:44:05 UTC 2007

Yury Tarasievich wrote:

> The alternative Belarusian speakers which comprise the majority of old
> [[be:]] crew simply *hate* the normative variant of Belarusian, and
> that's the start and the end of it.

If there was a peaceful relationship between speakers of the two
variants of Belarusian, they would long ago have recognized each
other and made sure both had language codes, just like it works
for Norwegian.  As you state, this is not the case.  Instead, this
is a case where "good fences make good neighbors".  If each
language community could have their own playground with a strong
fence between, they could each play there without disturbing the
other.  However, for better or worse, such fences cannot really
exist inside the Wikimedia Foundation.  The WMF community of
projects and languages is not divided into groups who hate each
other.  Content and people are flowing free between the projects
and languages.  This "WMF unity" is what every subgroup must be a
part of.  If they can't, they must go somewhere else.

I'm not speaking for the Foundation.  On the contrary, I once left
Wikipedia to start an alternative website because I didn't agree
with how things were being done in Wikipedia at the time (in
2001).  I'm speaking from experience, when I recommend the
"be-tarask" community to *consider* the option of leaving
Wikipedia and setting up shop on their own server or on a hosting
provider such as Wikia.  Note however: I'm not recommending you to
leave, I'm recommending you to *consider* this option.  What would
it mean for you?  It could mean more freedom, being able to do
things your way, not being subject to the policies of the
Foundation.  It would certainly mean isolation, as you would no
longer be part of Wikipedia, the internationally renown free
encyclopedia.  Would the freedom be worth this?  It's your choice.

And ultimately: Would the chance to stay within Wikipedia be worth
the sacrifice to cooperate with the community of speakers of
official Belarusian?  Instead of hating their spelling?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)