[Wikipedia-l] Quality vs Quantity

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Fri May 4 20:53:47 UTC 2007

Berto 'd Sera schrieb:
> Hoi,
>
>> I don't understand what you mean with this Berto -
>> could you please explain?
>>
> I mean that when an entry says that water is wet and thru an interwiki link
> I get to another where it says that water is dry I can have the software
> signal the contradiction and ask humans to take some action.

Ok, I understand what you mean, but please be patient: it is too soon to
talk about this. The problem alway is that if we cannot show things
people will not understand and will think we are talking about something
that will never exist. The concept is difficult to explain and it is
better to come up with this option when it really is there and people
can try it out.

Do you remeber the beginning of Ultimate Wiktionary? We were seen as
some quite crazy bunch believing in something that is impossible ...
well it is there, not perfect by now ... but well: how long did it take
to get the Mediawiki software to the level it has now? So: wer are not
really so bad on schedule ;-)

The problem often is how people percieve us. Instead of seeing us as
people who just want to give the most value possible to people's time,
work and knowledge we are often perceived as a threat to I don't know
what. But that is also normal and understandable - and there is a famous
quote by Ghandi that confirms exactly that :-)  (no, I am not telling
you ... there is wikiquote for that ;-)

There will be a time when things are clearer and then is the time to
talk about this and then I hope people will start to understand that we
are just about getting the most out of the available means and not
against anybody.

I don't know if I can go ahead discussing here - some work is calling my
attention :-)

Ciao, Sabine