[Wikipedia-l] Look Who's Using Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 22:41:29 UTC 2007

I really don't think "we" all in agreement on what "we" want.

I do not have a problem with people using Wikipedia as a primary
source for information. When it comes to certain topics, I would
encourage it because I have confidence in our accuracy and wide
coverage.

However, I would not encourage people to stake their fortune or their
health on Wikipedia at all, and there are certain topics that I would
discourage people from using Wikipedia as a primary source or in some
cases even a secondary source for (pretty much anything related to
Eastern Europe, all of which is still definitely a Work In Progress
when it comes to POV).

Mark

On 06/03/07, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > As students begin their online research, they could view the
> > prevalence of Wikipedia references in Google as proof of the accuracy
> > and reliability of the source. Given the search exposure and sheer
> > volume of data available on the site, they might fall into the trap of
> > relying on a single source for their education.
> What we *really* want is for people to pass through WP on the way to our
> sources and references and external links, and use those for citations
> instead of WP. I think we say that somewhere, but what else can we do to
> drive home the point? I've added some really topnotch books as
> references for articles, and yet when I go back to the library, those
> books are still sitting on the shelves, when they should be checked out
> nonstop.
>
> Stan

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.