[Wikipedia-l] Look Who's Using Wikipedia

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 19:39:57 UTC 2007

> As students begin their online research, they could view the
> prevalence of Wikipedia references in Google as proof of the accuracy
> and reliability of the source. Given the search exposure and sheer
> volume of data available on the site, they might fall into the trap of
> relying on a single source for their education.
What we *really* want is for people to pass through WP on the way to our
sources and references and external links, and use those for citations
instead of WP. I think we say that somewhere, but what else can we do to
drive home the point? I've added some really topnotch books as
references for articles, and yet when I go back to the library, those
books are still sitting on the shelves, when they should be checked out
nonstop.

Stan