[Wikipedia-l] About creating a new language on Wikipedia

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 18:17:58 UTC 2007

On 18/07/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Two days is a reasonable amount of time for someone who knows what he is
> doing to do a complete MediaWiki localisation. Experience suggests that when
> the terminology is not readily available, it can take a week. A week as in
> amount of time spend on the job not as in within a week it is ready.

The problem is that even once localised, we have a confusing and
complex interface program and markup language to teach them! It's not
simply a matter of getting all the labels right - the user interface
is a pretty sharp learning curve to the uninitiated or the
technologically inexperienced.

Language localisation is a necessary precondition, but it's not the
magic bulled.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk