[Wikipedia-l] About creating a new language on Wikipedia

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:56:15 UTC 2007

Hoi,
I understand that a discussion about Catalan also exists in the ISO 639
world. My impression is that Catalan and Valencian are both considered to be
part of "Ibero-Romance Northeastern". However, given that Catalan has so far
been considered to include Valencian, it will be interesting to see what the
result will be.

When you ask for help for starting "your own" Wikipedia, it has to be
understood what the language context is. When people say our language is
different, it does not automatically follow that their assessment is
accepted for instance, there are differences between the many flavours of
Spanish, English, Portuguese and we do not consider the difference enough
reason to start another Wikipedia project for flavours of those languages.

So from my perspective, it is of relevance what happens in the ISO 639
realm. When they make Valencian indeed a language, it will be interesting to
see what the impact will be on Catalan.

Thanks,
    GerardM