[Wikipedia-l] school articles : enough

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 09:52:03 UTC 2007

I will admit I did not know that dykes are best plugged with a flat
hand rather than a single finger... I had always thought a finger in
them did the trick to prevent any seepage of fluids, but then I have
no experience on the topic, and so am intrigued to learn that one
should use a hand instead to keep the dyke stronger for longer.

I'm curious, is there a specific field where dykes are studied? Or is
it just a subset of hydrology without its own name?

Mark

On 29/01/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ray Saintonge schreef:
> > For now I don't think there is enough interest in companies for us to
> > worry about the floodgates.  Maybe someone should tell the little boy
> > with his finger in the dyke that there is no water on the other side. ;-)
> >
> > Ec
> Hoi,
> Contrary to popular believe, when a dyke is saturated with water and
> water starts to seep out, the worst thing you can do is put your finger
> in it. The thing to do would be to put your hand flat on where it starts
> to flow. However this will not work for long.
>
> You may be amused to know that because so many Americans came to the
> Netherlands to learn about this story, they created a statue to
> commemorate this fictional event .. :)
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.