[Wikipedia-l] Total size of the Wikipedia (snapshot)?

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 13:10:49 UTC 2007

On 1/13/07, Jon Noring <jon at noring.name> wrote:
> I'm curious as to the size (in bytes) of the current Wikipedia.
>
> That is, if one took a snapshot of the Wikipedia in web form (including
> markup, images, multimedia, etc.), how large would it be? If the web
> documents were compressed, then how large would it be? (This would not
> include edit history information which I assume is substantial -- only
> interested in a snapshot of the current pages.)

You can go to http://download.wikipedia.org/ and look at the static
downloads. The current html dowload for the English wikipedia is about
5.5 GB, compressed with 7-zip.

In the tables at http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaEN.htm
the number of "binaries" (images, audio etc) was 620k last October. I
don't see the actual size in bytes anywhere.

Alfio