[Wikipedia-l] Entries for deletion.... issues from the Third World

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Tue Jan 9 06:00:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, J.L.W.S. The Special One wrote:

> While working on articles about Singaporean movies, I've encountered a
> similar problem: difficulty finding references due to systemic bias.
>
> Some seem to have the impression that Singaporean = non-notable. I've
> seen articles on many Singaporean topics, which no Singaporean would
> contest the notability of, get nominated for deletion, under the claim
> of non-notability.
>
> That Wikipedia suffers from systemic bias is not surprising.

I'm afraid I've seen this also.  Non-US articles appear much more likely
to come up for AfD.

But it's not just geographic.  The Maui Cluster Scheduler actually came up
for deletion with a result of "no concensus".  This is a piece of software
that is an integral component of high performance clusters the world over.
One voter apparently wanted it deleted because it was not useful for his
home PC.  At the very best this is parochial.

I'm glad this topic has come up for discussion.  IMHO the entire deletion
process (including speedy deletion) needs to come up for review.  It's too
easy for articles to come up for AfD.

It was interesting to sit in a Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group
meeting recently and hear people list many (IMHO) reasonable articles that
had been deleted.  This was a spontaneous discussion.  I bet if so many
people in Toronto are concerned about the deletion process that we aren't
alone.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073
OpenTrend Solutions Ltd      Email:          support at opentrend.net
                              Web:            www.opentrend.net