[Wikipedia-l] Entries for deletion.... issues from the Third World

Frederick Noronha fred at bytesforall.org
Mon Jan 8 08:48:02 UTC 2007

I agree... What would be worse is if the "systemic bias" follows the
traditional fault lines, which we have been so concerned about for so
long. After all, the New Media and its bottoms-up approach was meant
to make things "different". That's why we have so much faith in it,
and would like to invest our volunteer efforts here. Maybe, it is time
we recognised this problem and began to deal with it: how do
initiatives like the Wikipedia deal with non-English, non-visible,
largely non-digitised and oral societies (which have wealth of their
own, but not in a traditionally 'recognisable' sense)? To push a topic
to Wikia just because *we* can't recognise it's worth is unfair to the
topic. We can't also enter the vicious cycle of argument believing
that because-it-isn't-there-it-isn't-prominent (how does it become
'prominent' in the first place, if it is being rejected on these
grounds)?

Yet, there must be *some* way out. Am optimistic... FN

--
FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
http://fn.goa-india.org  http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com