No subject

Sat Jan 6 13:53:56 UTC 2007

assist non-visual browsers is to ensure that the page content comes as
early as possible in the source code. Else on every page the user has to
wade through the same long list of navigation. This can be achieved via CSS
positioning. As a bonus, promoting the page content to the start of the
source code gives a considerable boost to search engine rankings!
As an example, try http://www.electec.co.nz/electrotec.mv - a site that
looks graphics heavy and uses DHTML menus etc. but remains accessible. Try
it in a screen reader, Lynx, or Opera with images and stylesheets off. Note
that I have used css to "hide" punctuation in the navigation and lists -
hence screen readers make a reasonable job of them.
Incidentally, all screen readers I've tried have a separate function to
read all the links on a page, so putting content first does not mean you
have to listen to the entire page before you can navigate anywhere else.
Most talking browsers are aiming to be useable with only half a dozen keys
to control them.

--
Richard Grevers