[Wikipedia-l] Knol

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 06:04:35 UTC 2007

There has been a lot of blog buzz charting this as a possible competitor to
Wikipedia. And at first it seemed quite real, and honestly, quite
frightening to me. But if you read the post carefully, I don't think that
ideas such as "For many topics, there will likely be competing knols on the
same subject." and "...will include the opinions and points of view of the
authors." sounds like a competition for a source of reliable information. To
get reliable info, students and other people  who are looking for "the first
thing someone who searches for this topic for the first time will want to
read" aren't going to want to read ten different articles on the Holocaust
to get the full perspective. They need one, comprehensive unbiased source
for an introduction.