[Wikipedia-l] Entries getting delete...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 13 08:17:22 UTC 2007

Erica wrote:

>Prods should always have the creator notified. I don't see how a note
>on the talk page could help anything--the prod tag should already
>include a deletion rationale. I see what you're saying though, that a
>prod rationale of "POV article" would not make sense to a Wikipedia
>newbie. What is the solution? Link to [[WP:NPOV]]? Ask editors to
>write in more generic language? Wikipedia policies do not always break
>down into easily-digestible phrases. This is an unfortunate reality.

If a new article is POV just tag it as such.  Let someone else who has
interest in the subject have a chance to look at it and add a balancing
view.

>I agree that occasionally a worthy subject will get deleted. But I
>also think that admins do the best they can, and if a subject is truly
>noteworthy its article will be recreated. I try to be cautious with
>what I delete (though I admit that I have and do make mistakes, but
>again that is what the "open door" is for). We should not add any
>layers to the speedy deletion process. So much rubbish is created
>every day and there must be a fast way of getting rid of it.

It's not without reason that notability is more contentious than all the
other deletion criteria combined.  It's also evident that when you must
deal with a large quantity of material the work looks so overwhelming
that a siege mentality sets in.  Giving the benefit of the doubt to the
contributor in cases where notability is the only issue would go far in
alleviating  the incessant traffic of debate on that very problem.

Ec