[Wikipedia-l] Entries getting delete...

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at free.fr
Thu Apr 12 11:09:26 UTC 2007

David Goodman a écrit :
> It may be convenient, but it would be hard to say it is necessary.  It
> resembles the techniques of traffic enforcement I have heard exist in
> some countries, where the traffic policeman gives the ticket, decides
> on guilt, and collects the fine.  It also resembles some recent
> practices in my own country authorized by the Patriot Act. They too
> are  convenient, and save time.  David g.
This comparison is, sorry, overblown and irrelevant.

Wikipedia is not a judicial system. Deleting an article on Wikipedia
harms nobody, sends nobody to jail or prison, doesn't coerce people to
pay money, and does not spy on their private life. Everything may be
reverted if necessary.

There has been discussion (on a private list for OTRS operators) about
the problem of articles about non notable people, companies etc. that
nobody gives a damn about, get vandalized, and cause us hardships. By
"hardships" I mean that the queue of messages for complaints about the
English-speaking is constantly in the hundreds and that the volunteers
cannot cope with them.

In particular, it is just plain impossible to deal with those messages
without the power to delete articles about evidently non notable people
or companies.