[Wikipedia-l] [Wiktionary-l] Please check [[MediaWiki:Sitenotice]] on your project

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 10:26:49 UTC 2006

Hoi,
When messages are translated at the BetaWiki, it will be possible to
translate them once and have these messages be promoted in the usual way
and thereby have the translation available for ALL projects in the
language that has the translation done in Betawiki.

The current way of localising MediaWiki is extremely inefficient because
people do it for every project again while it only needs to be done
once. It only needs to be done once well and the messages are available
for MediaWiki itself.

Please do appreciate that I am not criticising the hard work that people
put into localisation. When I see the effects of the lack of
localisation in Wiktionary where I find that Wikipedia has already been
localised, I find it tragic that so much more work is required. It is
also tragic to see that Aphaia has to beg people to help with these
important translations while the work would have been done already if
the BetaWiki had been used in the first place.

Thanks,
    GerardM