[Wikipedia-l] Central bibliography

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 3 18:08:38 UTC 2006

Francis Tyers wrote:

>I completely agree that a centralised repository of references/
>citations would be desirable, not only would we be able to see
>which books are used where, but possibly (if people think it
>wise) to see who has which books/articles.
>
>For example, I have many journal articles that I have photocopied
>from the British Library (my department paid for it) that I would
>be happy to look up information in for people. They can't be
>distributed because of copyright reasons, but if someone comes along,
>sees that I've cited it and asks me a question about the paper, I
>would have no problem in looking it up etc.

Taking that a step further:  User A has made a statement, and claims
that it is supported by a specific reference.  User B questions the
claim and its source.  User C has registered his ownership of the source
in the Central bibliography.  User B can then ask User C to check the
claim to see if it is really in that source, or to see if it has been
misquoted or, more frequently, misunderstood.

Ec