[Wikipedia-l] Central bibliography

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 15:29:40 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:
> I think Wikipedia really needs a central bibliography,
> because there are many books who are used in more than
> one article, some in dozens or even more.

There's a well thought-out proposal for this already:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikicat

There's also a related discussion:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-July/008724.html
(and responses)

The most realistic way this project may happen in the near future is
through the related WikiAuthors project that has been promoted by
Miguel Andrade and others:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiAuthors

I discussed WikiAuthors with a group of scientists at a workshop in
Bloomington a few days ago:
http://vw.indiana.edu/places&spaces/meeting_060830.php

There was very broad support for the idea of a central wiki for the
purpose of author disambiguation, as many existing databases do not
assign unique IDs per author.  It is likely that funding for this will
come through in the coming months, which may also facilitate some of
the broader ideas described in the Wikicat proposal linked to above.

The general technology for building wiki-based ontology repositories
is part of the WiktionaryZ project and under heavy development:
http://wiktionaryz.org/

Let me know if you have further questions, or want to be actively
involved in this project.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik