[Wikipedia-l] Re: No more new Wikipedias !

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 26 18:07:49 UTC 2005

Traroth wrote:

>--- Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> a
>écrit :
>

>>The function of these wikis, it seems to me, would
>>be pride rather than
>>education. That's not the function I volunteered to
>>promote when I
>>signed up with Wikipedia.
>>

>And cultural conservation ? Avoiding the vanishing of
>languages is a good purpose, in my opinion. In your
>hypothesis, if we look at the extrem case, why to
>start a wikipedia in another language than english,
>since more and more people speak this language ? Just
>learn english, and you will have access to wikipedia !

There are many good purposes, and cultural coservation is one of them.
That does not mean we should scatter resources to support every such
proposal that comes along.  How is an endangered language saved by a
diletante with more ego than brains, who happens to write a handful of
articles in the language in question.

>>There are always many vocal supporters, and there
>>are always people who
>>are silently opposed. Or rather, they are silent
>>until those in power
>>give in to the lobby and create new wikis, and then
>>they open up with
>>ridicule and criticism. We've seen it many times
>>before.
>>

>People who are silently opposed ? What does it mean ?
>They are opposed, but not enough to express their
>opposition. I call that "people who don't care"...

Maybe those who are silently opposed have better things to do with their
time than maintain a vigil over every cockamamy scheme that comes
along.  They would rather save their energy for those instances when one
of those schemes threatens to succeed.

Ec