[Wikipedia-l] Re: No more new Wikipedias !

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 25 18:32:24 UTC 2005

Angela wrote:

>On 9/24/05, Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>

>>I created 5 new Wikipedias in June because I received a request from a
>>Wikimedia Board member. If I receive another such specific request, I'll
>>carry it out. I do that out of loyalty to them, not because I think it
>>contributes to our mission.
>>

>I doubt you'll get another such request since I've been told that new
>language wikis is not a Board issue and I shouldn't be taking
>decisions on these or asking developers to start them. What people
>fail to realise is that if the Board doesn't take these decisions (and
>perhaps they're right and the Board shouldn't) - then who is going to
>take them? There is increasingly resistance to the Board doing
>anything, but also resistance to them delegating any authority they
>may have had, which is just leading to stagnation. So, who should be
>taking the decision on new language wikis (and also on new projects),
>especially when no
><http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposed_policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages>
>has ever been agreed upon?

You're essentially correct.  If the Board doesn't make such decisions
maybe no-one will, and sometimes that's not entirely a bad thing.  I
personally think that the proposed policy that you mention makes it too
easy to start a new Wiki; the proposed Cantonese Wikipedia could likely
succeed under these policies.  Leaving that aside there is still a
question of process which remains to be solved.  A strong argument can
be made that adopting such a policy is within the mandate of the Board
because it has an overall impact on the Wikimedia projects as a whole.
This cannot be said of the application of such a policy to a particular
set of circumstances.  The application needs to be delegated to someone
who has enough courage to say no when the criteria have not been met;
that person needs to feel confident that his decision in accordance with
policy will not be undermined when some disgruntled individual goes
whinging to the Board.

The broader stagnation dilemma that you raise is a real problem in
"democratic" structures.  Jimbo has said from time to time on these
lists that Wikipedia is not a democracy.  That's fine, but even
Macchiavelli did not believe in a regime of unremitting suppression.  A
happy populace will always be more productive.  No Board of Directors of
a large corporation will get entangled in the day-to-day micromanagement
of that corporation; that would be disastrous.

What does fall within the Board's scope of operation (not it's
authority, where in law it can do everything) is the right to establish
a basic operating rule outlining what does the Board do itself, and what
it delegates.  It then develops credibility by not interfering with the
work of its delegates as long they act within their duly defined mandates.

When some kind of board structure was being proposed before the
Wikimedia Foundation was formally established I suggested two levels of
boards.  One, essentially the present Board, would function more as
trustees who would ensure that the Foundation remain within the
principles that led to its establishment; it would also be responsible
for such broad issues as the financial viability of the organization.
The second would have a more operational capacity, it could investigate
proposals in greater detail and advise the trustees about current
issues; it would have decision-making powers within defined parameters.

The concept of democracy embraced by some of Wikimedia's citizens leaves
much to be desired.  Sometimes policy changes are passed because no-one
has noticed a subtle change on a policy page; other policies are
subjected to votes where very few people know about the vote or
participate.  In yet other cases policies are debated interminably and
the policy that wins is the one that's left on the policy page after
evryone else is exhausted..  In yet other cases there may be a very
strong debate between two strong-willed individuals with everyone else
completely avoiding the issue and failing to step in with alternatives
that would lead to a generally acceptable solution.

Ultimately the question is not about who makes the specific decision to
go ahead with a new language or project.  It is about how the Board
scalably defines its own role within the organization, and commits
itself to that well defined role.

Ec