[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 10:29:12 UTC 2005

Jack & Naree wrote:
> Yes, it was me, I did rant, I do apologise, but I'm just pissed off with
> proper English being treated like this.
>
> You have Wikipedia in Klingon, in tiny tribal languages, and now in Scots
> (and I'm Scottish btw) - which is basically as similar to correct English as
> American-English is - at least I think most native English-speakers can
> probably read it.

Actually, we don't have a Wikipedia in Klingon. It's a Wikicity, which
is hosted by Wikia, *not* the Wikimedia Foundation.

BTW, have you considered contributing to sco.wikipedia?

>  "- I think we can safely consider this as not providing a great deal of
> useful insight into our language policy :-)"
>  Why not? Ok, I ranted, but this not an illegitimate point, why should we
> (and I say that because you have a ".uk" address) be forced to accept
> Americanisms?

Really? I thought it was en.wikipedia.org...

> If you're British, do think we should start changing our spellings to
> American ones? Start changing our grammar too?
>  someone at Wikipedia ages ago wrote to me that he thought it was fine for
> articles in the English section to remain in the dialect relevent to their
> subject matter - he basically said, if it's about the UK it can be in
> English, but everything else is to be in American-English, but called
> English - and he said he was British!

Actually, the policy is (or at least was):

* If subject of article is British (or other Commonwealth
English)-related, use Commonwealth English.
* If subject of article is USian, use US English
* If neither applies, majority style (in case both are used) of original
author is preferred.

>  I mean there are several issues here: cultural imperialism, ambiguation
> (because of the many differences in American-English and English usage), and
> English learners learning to spell incorrectly and talk like Americans - why
> is it wrong to resist that?

You are welcome to create your own fork of the site in Commonwealth
English, provided you comply with the GFDL.

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign