[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Jack & Naree jack.macdaddy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 10:23:07 UTC 2005

Yes, it was me, I did rant, I do apologise, but I'm just pissed off with
proper English being treated like this.
You have Wikipedia in Klingon, in tiny tribal languages, and now in Scots
(and I'm Scottish btw) - which is basically as similar to correct English as
American-English is - at least I think most native English-speakers can
probably read it.
 "- I think we can safely consider this as not providing a great deal of
useful insight into our language policy :-)"
 Why not? Ok, I ranted, but this not an illegitimate point, why should we
(and I say that because you have a ".uk" address) be forced to accept
Americanisms?
If you're British, do think we should start changing our spellings to
American ones? Start changing our grammar too?
 someone at Wikipedia ages ago wrote to me that he thought it was fine for
articles in the English section to remain in the dialect relevent to their
subject matter - he basically said, if it's about the UK it can be in
English, but everything else is to be in American-English, but called
English - and he said he was British!
 I mean there are several issues here: cultural imperialism, ambiguation
(because of the many differences in American-English and English usage), and
English learners learning to spell incorrectly and talk like Americans - why
is it wrong to resist that?