[Wikipedia-l] Project: This wikipedia-related article is a stub...

Roger Luethi collector at hellgate.ch
Wed Sep 7 11:37:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:31:02 +0200, Boris Lohnzweiger wrote:
> > The German WP doesn't keep articles
> > just because the subject is notable. If an article is too short, it
> > will get deleted unless someone expands it (IIRC a time limit of a few
> > days is quite common).
>
> This is not correct. There are a number of two or three line articles
> that have been on the German Wikipedia for at least a year and nobody is
> planning to delete them. According to German WP deletion rules shortness
> doesn't justify a deletion and deletion is only a means of last resort
> ("letztes Mittel") if other measures fail. If it weren't that way, would
> we have almost 300,000 articles then?

You are correct that many short articles have remained in WP:de. However,
short articles do get put up for deletion regularly based on that
criterion.

The respective German guidelines are indeed written in a fairly similar
spirit to the English ones. They don't seem to advocate the deletion of
small stubs. But the folks who frequent [[de:Wikipedia:Löschkandidaten]]
tend to have a different view.

I don't hang out on WP:de that often but if you deny that the German
WP deletes article solely due to shortness you can't be a [[de:WP:LK]]
regular, either.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. It is just something to keep in mind if
you ever plan to write a stub for the German WP.

Roger