[Wikipedia-l] Re: Copyright violations at download.wikimedia.org

Roger Luethi collector at hellgate.ch
Tue May 31 21:38:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:03:44 -0700, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Refactoring may completely remove the problem, not just mitigate it.

So I guess there is no need to ever flag a copyvio, then. Should some
copyright holder ever complain, we will just change change some words
in his text and the problem will go away. Well, that sure makes life
a lot easier.

> Copyright applies to the way something is expressed, and not to what is
> expressed.  So what's the difference between a copyvio text that has
> been refactored, and the same refactored text being added from the
> bbeginning?

Why do we delete pages that start as copyvios, rather than refactoring
them?

Roger