[Wikipedia-l] Re: Jimbo interview on NPR Friday?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat May 28 19:48:38 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:
> Finally, I will keep that big knot in my stomach. It was an error to
> just even mention the issue. All is well. I will not mention the topic
> any more. There is no issue. Issue closed.

I think it is a very very important issue.  I think that _in this case_,
the problem was not so bad, probably because I made a huge deal out of
it when they contacted me with a list of all-English speakers.  I
insisted that they contact Anthere, which they did, and I think I
influenced the show to broaden to more languages, which they did.

However, in general, Anthere's criticism of the press coverage in
English was absolutely right.  The Wired article is the best example I
know of, since the reporter (who did a generally fabulous job) actually
met Anthere in New York, and nearly came to Berlin for the developers
conference.  It was a disappointment that he focussed on English, but it
was the story he wanted to tell.

--Jimbo