[Wikipedia-l] Re: Jimbo interview on NPR Friday?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 25 21:35:21 UTC 2005

Anthere:
> I personally would not call particularly clueful a journalist
> exclusively interested in the english speaking part of our project.
>
> It strikes me as ... being a bit "short". But well, I suppose we can
> disagree on this.

"From Public Radio International, I'm Christopher Lydon. This is Open
Source. Wikipedia is the new knowledge phenomenon of the Internet age.
It's an encyclopedia written and edited by its readers, a compendium in
more than a 150 languages from Albanian to Zulu, of 1.3 million articles .."

Jimbo: "All of the different languages ... It's a very international
project .. progress in a lot of the smaller languages .. distributed
world-wide to people who don't have Internet access .. available in
many, many languages .."

Radio Open Source contacted me, and they asked me for other contacts
with the *explicit* comment that they were looking "especially for users
outside the US." As Puddl has pointed out, they also went out of their
way to contact someone from the Afrikaans Wikipedia on the wiki itself.

Anyone who listened to the whole show and didn't remember the
"multilingualism" aspect is, quite frankly, unlikely to be capable of
understanding Wikipedia itself.

The majority of the show focused on a relatively language-neutral aspect
of the project, namely, the quality of the content and whether you can
trust it. Most of the criticisms were eloquently wrong (faulting
Wikipedia for the fact that students plagiarize it is pretty funny), and
I would have liked them to dig a little deeper into our fact checking
processes and future peer review plans.

It's important to note that Wikipedia is a work in progress not just in
its content, but also in its processes and technology. It reminds me of
all those fancy predictions about blogs and their impact on journalism,
none of them realizing that this entire sphere is subject to massive
technological and structural changes. I wouldn't call the show biased, I
would call it somewhat superficial in that respect.

That they didn't focus more on the aspect of multilingualism was a
conscious editiorial decision. Rather than do an "Oh, look how great
Wikipedia is" piece, they wanted to try to give a balanced view of the
project and its accomplishments. I would say that it's probably the
least biased mainstream media presentation I've come across so far
coming from outside the community. I hope you don't expect an American
radio show to broadcast in French -- they would be taken over by
right-wing militia within seconds. ;-)

Erik