[Wikipedia-l] Wikimedia projects in Papiamentu en Sranang Tongo

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 08:43:57 UTC 2005

This is incorrect. It is not "the" language of Surinam. Only 120.000
are native speakers of this language. There are actually MORE native
speakers of Dutch (200.000) and Carribean Hindustani (150.000) than of
Sranan Tongo. There are also 60.000 native speakers of Carribean
Javanese, 50.000 of Guyanese Creole English, 23.000 of Saramaccan,
15.000 of Aukan (aka Ndjuka, written in some parts with its own unique
syllabary), 6.000 of Chinese (all Hakka), 2.400 of Carib, 1.000 of
Arawak, 1.000 of Trió, 400 of Wayana, 100 of Kwinti, 50 of Akulyo, and
various others.

In short, Surinam is a very linguistically diverse place.

In the Antilles and Aruba, in addition to Papiamentu, there is Virgin
Islands Creole English which is spoken by 13.000 people (including the
entire population of 3 different islands).

Mark