[Wikipedia-l] Re: The value of Pronunciation

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 01:58:08 UTC 2005

There is no such thing as how a word "should be pronounced".

The word "hopilavayi" (a Hopi word meaning "hopi language") can be
pronounced an infinite number of ways. There is a relatively small
spectrum of what can be considered "authentic native-speaker
pronunciation", roughly /hopilavaji/, but it isn't how it "should be
pronounced": it is not nessecarily "wrong" to pronounce it
/hUp:aIlEvEjaI/ or /xaUbaIleIveIxi/ or even /xrpbvljblvkrknlbo/,
although those all most certainly fall outside of the spectrum of
"authentic native-speaker pronunciation".

Some languages have a wider spectrum of ANSP than others, for example
English would be much wider than Haida.

I don't dispute that recordings of pronunciations within the spectrum
of ANSP would be valuable, but I believe they should be labelled as
such - ie, "Native Hopi speaker pronouncing 'hopilavayi'" rather than
"correct pronunciation of 'hopilavayi'" or "how 'hopilavayi' should be
pronounced".

Mark