[Wikipedia-l] Re:WikiIndex (idea)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 03:27:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:05:30 +1000, Craig Franklin <craig at halo-17.net> wrote:
> The only thing is that it should be kept as simple as possible, some of the
> proposals I see are too complicated for "ordinary" users to understand.  We
> shouldn't require that a user be familiar with complex metadata tagging
> schemes just to write articles - even if those schemes are the widely
> adopted standards on the Internet at large.

Thats why it's a wiki...  "ordinary" user writes the page.. Omits the
metadata, because they don't understand it, aren't aware of it, or
just don't care.

Someone else notices the missing metadata and adds it, ... and since
they apparently care about metadata they probably known enough to do
it right, even if the system turns out to be fairly complicated.

The metadata for an article will likely change very slowly, if at all,
so keeping the metadata accurate should be a non-issue.