[Wikipedia-l] Request for classical Chinese

Pablo Saratxaga pablo at mandrakesoft.com
Tue Mar 1 09:36:49 UTC 2005

Kaixo!

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 05:31:42PM -0700, Mark Williamson wrote:

> In addition there was the old practice in Japanese of writing a
> neologism descriptively in Chinese characters, and writing the
> pronunciation (usually from English or French) right above it.

A more problematic issue would be proper nouns, like place names
or country names; while some of them (those in the area of influence
of Chinese, eg: Vietnam, Thailand, China, Mongolia, Corea, Japan, etc)
are identiqual in both Chinese and Japanese (at least in classical
writting), others are not, for example in Chinese USA is the
"beauty-country" while in Japanese it is the "rice-country";
France is in Chinese represented by the hanzi meaning "law",
while in Japanese the hanzi for "Buddha" is used instead, etc.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]