[Wikipedia-l] Duplicate article

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Mon Feb 28 04:59:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-27-02 at 08:56 -0800, Adam Hunt wrote:

> What is the policy on duplicate articles?  "U.S. customary units" and
> "Imperial unit" both cover the same topic.

Official policy is that you should look at the history of the article
with the title you least prefer to find the person  who did the smallest
possible change (I like "it's" to "its" changes, myself). Then, you
write an ALL-CAPS HATE LETTER to them on their User talk: page, cursing
them vehemently for "vandalizing" Wikipedia and violating the NPOV rule.
If you can, threaten to have their ISP account deactivated and/or
physical violence. Mention of Nazis or Hitler is a finesse touch but not
required. Finally, look at their user contributions to find other
articles the user's worked on, and blank them.

An alternate approach is to merge the two articles and make one a
redirect to the other. But what fun is that?

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at wikitravel.org>