[Wikipedia-l] Simple English and English look too confusingly similar

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Feb 9 02:47:19 UTC 2005

I just read this blog entry from January:
http://www.corante.com/many/archives/2005/01/04/academia_and_wikipedia.php

The author, Danah Boyd, a notable blogger and expert in social networks,
criticized "the Wikipedia entry" for "social network", but she actually
referenced the entry on the Simple English Wikipedia. What's worse,
nobody in the comments corrected her, even though they clearly went to
the English Wikipedia to look up different topics and compare.

I suspect Danah googled for the title rather than visiting Wikipedia.
Picking the wrong site is an easy mistake to make, since, except for the
word "Simple" in the URL and page title, articles from the two sites
look exactly the same. The concept of a "Simple English" Wikipedia is
also not a trivial one to grasp even if someone actually does see it in
the title, so they may just ignore it and think it's some strange
Internet thing. After all, many addresses have things like "www10" or
even arbitrary server names in the front.

If an expert can make that mistake, I'm sure many other people have,
wondering why all the Wikipedia articles they looked at were written in
very juvenile prose and incomplete.

I strongly recommend that we change the look and feel of the Simple
English Wikipedia to avoid that confusion, perhaps going so far to add a
[[MediaWiki:Sitenotice]] to that effect. A somewhat different logo would
also help. The changes I can make without being a sysop are limited,
though, and Simple is not particularly active, so I thought I'd bring
this to the attention of the list first.

Regards,

Erik