[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia in Chinese dialects

Sheng Jiong sheng.jiong at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 03:11:00 UTC 2005

> I...disagree. I've been to Guangzhou many, many times. There are tons of
> local TV and radio programs in Cantonese/Yue, in addition to the Hong
> Kong programs they watch/listen to. Every time I was in a taxi, if the
> driver is from the local region, his radio is always tuned to a radio
> station that speaks Cantonese/Yue.

So? We are discussing if we should have a Wikipedia "written* in
Cantonese or any other dialects (which all do not even have a
standardised writting system, which means that not all native speakers
can understand the written encyclopedia should we have one), not
discussing about whether we should have a spoken encyclopedia in these
dialects. I totally agree that dialects are living spoken languages in
China, but it is absurdly ridiculous to attempt to write in them, as
there is *no* **standardised** writing system for them!!

[[User:Formulax]]