[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia in Chinese dialects

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 07:50:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:12:28 +0800, Alex Kwan <litalex at slashyalex.com> wrote:
> I...disagree. I've been to Guangzhou many, many times. There are tons of
> local TV and radio programs in Cantonese/Yue, in addition to the Hong
> Kong programs they watch/listen to. Every time I was in a taxi, if the
> driver is from the local region, his radio is always tuned to a radio
> station that speaks Cantonese/Yue.

That's somewhat true, as folks native to southern Guangdong tune into
HK-based and local Cantonese sources. Certainly they have the
strongest local dialect programming in China, especially arts, culture
and popular programming.

However, more and more, the region is being filled by migrants from
other regions, because of the economic prosperity and worker
shortages. In the extreme case of Shenzhen, Cantonese is not widely
spoken among the 4.5 million inhabitants because the population is
largely transplanted from other places. Because of this, and the
ambition to be national satellite broadcasters, putonghua makes up the
bulk of the content of these media groups. But your point is valid.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)