[Wikipedia-l] Copyright violations

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Wed Apr 27 22:35:32 UTC 2005

I am no expert on how to handle this. One thing you can do if you suspect a
copyright violation is to take a short phrase and google that phrase. If you
find a match it is best to ask the editor who put it on Wikipedia about it.
They may be the author or have permission to use it.

In the case of someone who is copying from a book or article, you have to
know the literature, but you might catch it anyway on Amazon which permits
search of the text of many books.

One giveaway is a lot of well written language which is not wikified and is
not NPOVed.

This reply hardly exhausts this difficult area however.

Fred