[Wikipedia-l] Copyright violations

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:57:23 UTC 2005

On 4/27/05, NSK <nsk2 at wikinerds.org> wrote:

> I know many irresponsible users try to upload copyrighted material in
> Wikipedia. What do you do to find which material is copyrighted

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Spotting_possible_copyright_violations>
for some advice on finding which material is copyrighted.

>  and how do
> you handle the situation?

It depends what it is and how it was found. If it was found via the
Foundation receiving a valid take down notice, we'd just take it down.
If not, it would be discussed at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyright_problems> for a week
before being deleted (assuming no one found out that it wasn't a
violation within this time, or sought permission from the copyright
owner to release it under the GFDL). If the violation was not a new
page, it might just be reverted rather than being deleted (see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Copyright_violations_on_history_pages>).

Angela.