[Wikipedia-l] Re: Sanger's memoirs

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Apr 20 13:05:06 UTC 2005

Delirium wrote:

> It's quite clear that Larry Sanger has not put in a minute on
> Wikipedia for which he was not paid.  He resigned and ended all
> involvement with the project immediately after he stopped
> receiving a paycheck for it,

So would I have done under the same circumstances.  Anything else
would indeed have been more strange.  When you take employment,
you negotiate with your employer to get the right job description,
title, and salary, and your negotiation power comes from your
ability to walk away.  If the employer suddenly cuts your salary,
you walk away, and don't continue to do the same work for free.
Because if you cannot walk away, you are in fact a slave.

Since Wikipedia was still a .com in 2001, it is fair to include
Larry in the number of dotcom layoffs.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)